Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recovering Kfarsghabi Spirit
01-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Recovering Kfarsghabi Spirit
Attentions storytellers, word weavers and possessors of wild imaginations, I would like to submit an idea to all of you Kfarsghabis who want to change something and who believe in the power of words.

I heard you debating about the Kfarsghabi identity crisis. I am not sure I entirely agree with you, or that I actually grasp the subject as a whole. & I would like to stop reducing an identity to a mere nationality, or worse to a religious belonging. I find it sad and petty, to be honest and blunt. This policy of registering more Maronites is inscribed in the long and bloody history of the demographic race that has been defining our otherwise fantastic homeland for far too long.

So I would like to come forward with an idea. How about we try to create a new Kfarsghab that is ours - local and international at once -, using our own words from all over the world & finally pay tribute to our magnificent homeland.

My suggestion is we try to publish a small book (or a huge one depending) by the end of 2014 (let’s say December 2014), in which anyone can contribute in any language (be it Portuguese or Estonian), that will then be translated at least to English and Arabic. The rule of thumb is to talk about Kfarsghab; bitter memories, Mar Awtel celebrations, Wadi Qadisha’s inspiring stillness, Moubarak’s thoughts, whatever it is. Just to remind us what the essence of Kfarsghab and being a Kfarsghabi really is today. To the infinity and beyond!

Thank you for reading this, it warms my heart to see that 2014 might be the year we actually think of Kfarsghab differently.
Kisses from warm(ish) Beirut.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2014, 07:42 PM
RE: Recovering Kfarsghabi Spirit
Hi Alexandra,

Hope all is well on your side

A behavioral change program commences with raising ‘awareness’. Therefore, publishing a book is a good and timely idea. This could be bundled with other educational and communication initiatives.

Nevertheless, in isolation, this may be insufficient for lasting & impactful behavioral change. Thus, beyond the ‘awareness’ phase, we should seek engagement and institutionalization opportunities to ensure we are actually changing mindsets & behaviors, i.e. Recovering Kfarsghabi Spirit.

For example, Viriginia Solomon (91 years old, Rhode Island USA) told me that her family kept the ‘Spirit Alive’ by visiting the annual Easton Heritage Day Celebrations. It was their opportunity to nurture their customs, solidarity, and reunite with community members.

A new idea could be to have annual organized youth trips to the motherland. Or alternatively, any initiative that involves people experiencing first-hand the ‘Spirit’ of Kfarsghab could be explored as well.

Next Step – please elaborate on your implementation ideas for the Book? What is required? Perhaps we can find volunteers to support on it?

Thanks for your dedication to Kfarsghab! Smile
Quote this message in a reply